1 cup chocolate chips
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/4 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tbsp cocoa powder
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 tbsp freshly grated ginger
1/2 cup packed dark-brown sugar
1/4 cup molasses
1 tsp baking soda
1. Preheat oven to 325 F
2. In a medium bowl, sift together flour, spices, and cocoa.
3. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment,
cream the butter and grated ginger until whitened, about 4 minutes. Add the
brown sugar; beat until combined. Add the molasses; beat until combined.
4. In a small bowl, dissolve the baking soda in 1 1/2 tsp of very hot
water. Beat half the flour mixture into the butter mixture. Beat in the
baking soda mixture, then the remaining half of the flour mixture. Mix in
5. Roll the dough into 1 1/2 inch balls; place, 2 inches apart, on baking
7. Bake until the surfaces crack slightly, 10-15 minutes; let cool 5
minutes; transfer to wire rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight
container up to 1 week.
Makes 2 dozen (also doubles nicely).
Option #1: Use chopped up fine dark chocolate instead of chocolate chips
Option #2: Roll balls in granulated white sugar before baking