I’ve been on a dreaming streak lately, thinking about what I would have if I could build my dream home. Here is my wish list for what my Frugal Urban Casa would have, in no particular order:
– a large garden for veggies, wheat and herbs, both culinary and medicinal
– a chicken coop so I can enjoy fresh organic pastured eggs every day
– a bee hive
– an outdoor wood-burning brick oven for bread. In my dream, I have a twice-weekly schedule for baking, and people come from all over the neighbourhood to bake their bread in my oven.
– a sauna attached to the wood-burning brick oven so I can enjoy a steam when I’m not baking bread.
– a root cellar for keeping preserves, desum (a Flemish whole wheat sourdough bread that favours cool temperatures), root veggies, and brewing projects
– berry bushes and fruit trees around the property
My dad once said to me “Everything I’ve ever wanted, I have had a chance to acquire in my life. But then I’ve had to decide whether it was what I really wanted at the time.” And actually I’ve found that to be true in my life. Most of the things I’ve really really wanted to happen have happened. So, maybe in ten years or fifteen, I’ll have a chance to build my urban homestead.
Until then, I’ll just keep dreaming . . .
What about you–what do you want in your dream house?